bookmark_borderPayPal Pro Add-on
IMPORTANT NOTE: This documentation is for the PayPal Pro Add-On that utilizes PayPal’s legacy PayPal Pro API. It is not compatible with PayPal Payments Pro accounts which utilize PayPal’s Payflow API. Click Here for PayPal’s newer PayPal Payments Pro Add-On Documentation.
Gravity Forms makes collecting payments with PayPal Pro quick and easy! With the PayPal Pro Add-On you can capture credit card payments along with any additional data you want from your customer right on your site, without sending the user to a 3rd party site to complete the transaction.
If you are familiar with our other Gravity Forms Add-Ons, you should have no problems getting started with the PayPal Pro Add-On.
**We apologize for the confusion as to which “PayPal Pro” Add-On you should use, unfortunately PayPal has not made things easy on users or developers as far as the API transition from PayPal Pro to PayPal Payments Pro goes.
If you just signed up for a PayPal Payments Pro account at PayPal recently or within the last year you would need to utilize the newer PayPal Payments Pro Add-On and not this legacy PayPal Pro Add-On.**
- Gravity Forms v1.6.3+
- WordPress v3.3+
- SSL Certificate Installed and Configured
- PayPal Pro account
The Gravity Forms PayPal Pro Add-On requires the use of the Pricing Fields in Gravity Forms v1.6.3+ and will not work with older versions of Gravity Forms.
Because of the secure nature of capturing credit card information you will also be required to purchase and install an SSL certificate on your web site. You will also need to configure your WordPress site to work properly with SSL.
Contact your web host if you need assistance purchasing and configuring an SSL certificate.
If you need assistance configuring your WordPress site to work with SSL we recommend the WordPress HTTPS (SSL) Plugin which you can find here:
Install The PayPal Pro Add-On
The easiest way to install the PayPal Pro Add-On is from within your WordPress site itself. If you have properly configured your Gravity Forms license key on the Settings page of Gravity Forms you should have access to the built in Add-On manager.
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Add-Ons under the Forms navigation.
- Install and Activate the PayPal Pro Add-On.
If you would like to install the PayPal Pro Add-On manually, or have trouble accessing the Add-On manager, you can follow the instructions below:
- Download the add-on plugin from the Add-Ons download page.
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Add New under the Plugins navigation.
- Choose Upload from the Install Plugins sub-navigation.
- Upload, Install and Activate the PayPal Pro Add-On.
- Get Started!
Setup Your Form
After installing the PayPal Pro Add-On, the first thing you will need to do is configure your form to work with it. This is done by using the Pricing Fields to configure the purchase selections and the Credit Card field to allow users to enter their credit card information on the form.
- Go to New Form under the Forms navigation or choose an existing form from Edit Forms in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Add Fields for capturing standard payment information such as Name, Email, Address, etc.
- Add Pricing Fields to your form and configure them to suit your needs.
- Add a Credit Card Field from the Pricing Fields toolbox to your form.
- Save your form.
- Setup PayPal Pro.
Setup PayPal Pro
Now that you have your form created the way you want it, it’s time to setup the PayPal Pro Add-On and connect it to your PayPal Pro account. This is done via PayPal Pro’s API and the setup requires you enter your PayPal Pro API account credentials on the PayPal Pro Settings page.
- Go to Settings under the Forms navigation in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Select PayPal Pro from the Settings sub-navigation.
- Select the API for PayPal Pro integration. Live for the live PayPal Pro API for real transactions, and Sandbox for use with PayPal’s developer sandbox account for test transactions. Please Note: Using PayPal’s Sandbox API requires a PayPal developer account which you can sign up for here: https://developer.paypal.com/
- Enter the API Username for your PayPal Pro account.
- Enter the API Password for your PayPal Pro account.
- Enter the API Signature for your PayPal Pro account.
- Verify IPN has been enabled in your PayPal Pro account in order to enable Recurring Payments.
- Save your PayPal Pro Settings.
- If you entered your PayPal Pro account information correctly, your API credentials will reflect that they have been verified via a green check mark. If you do not see green check marks next to the credentials, please double check this information and try again.
- Setup PayPal Pro Feeds.
Setup PayPal Pro Feeds
Now that you have configured the PayPal Pro Add-On to work with your PayPal Pro account, and you have a form configured and ready to interact with PayPal Pro, it’s time to bring it all together by configuring the form to integrate with PayPal Pro. Just like all of Gravity Forms Add-Ons, this integration is done by creating a feed.
- Go to PayPal Pro under the Forms navigation in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Select Add New to add a new PayPal Pro Feed.
- Select the PayPal Pro Transaction Type. You can choose from Products and Services which is a single one time payment, or Subscriptions if you have enabled PayPal Pro’s Recurring Billing option in the PayPal Pro Add-On Settings.
- Select the Gravity Form you would like to integrate with.
- If you have chosen a Subscription as your Transaction Type you will be given options for the Recurring Amount, Billing Cycle, Recurring Time, Trial Period and Setup Fee. These are used to setup the recurring payment profile. The Trial Period and Setup Fee should not be used together, you would use one or the other.
- Map PayPal Pro’s Fields to your Gravity Form Fields by selecting each field from the available drop down.
- If you would like the PayPal Pro integration to happen conditionally, enable the PayPal Pro Condition. The PayPal Pro Condition is a form of conditional logic that allows you to determine if the PayPal Pro interaction for this form should be triggered based on user input.
- Save your Feed.
About The Credit Card Field
The PayPal Pro Add-On enables the Credit Card Field in Gravity Forms. This field appears in the Pricing Fields toolbox of the Form Editor. This is a new field type that makes it easy to capture credit card information. It includes integrated card type detection so the user does not have to pick which type of card he is using and it also has built in validation to validate that the card format is correct.
This field does not actually store the Credit Card data. It is available as part of the initial form submission strictly as part of integration with the PayPal Pro Add-On and other payment gateway add-ons. This data will not be stored as part of the form entry and is not retained by your site, server, or database.
If you Preview or view your form on a page that is not secure, it will be obvious, both to you and your users if you do not properly secure the page. If the page is unsecured the Credit Card Field will be highlighted with a red warning. This warning will not be displayed if the page displaying the form is loaded via https with a valid SSL certificate.
PayPal Pro Subscription Cancellations
When setting up PayPal Pro subscription payments, please keep in mind that the only way to currently cancel a subscription is via the entry details in the WordPress Dashboard or your PayPal account.
PayPal will communicate back to your site via IPN when a recurring payment profile has been canceled.