bookmark_borderHelp Scout Add-On
The Help Scout Add-On requires a valid Pro or Elite License to receive access to automatic upgrades and documentation. It also requires an existing Help Scout account.
Installing The Help Scout Add-On
The easiest way to install the Help Scout Add-On is via the Add-On manager within Gravity Forms in your WordPress Dashboard.
To install manually follow the directions below:
- Download the add-on plugin from the Add-Ons download page.
- Upload the plugin folder and files via FTP to your wp-content/plugins folder OR upload the plugin zip file via the “Add New” plugin menu in WordPress.
- Activate the “Gravity Forms Help Scout Add-On” plugin you just uploaded.
Setup The Help Scout Add-On
Now that the Help Scout Add-On is installed and active you will need to setup Gravity Forms to integrate with your Help Scout account. The Help Scout Add-On adds a new link to the “Settings” menu under “Forms” in your WordPress Dashboard. Go to the Gravity Forms “Settings” page and click on the “Help Scout” link.
On the Gravity Forms Help Scout Settings page you will need to enter your Help Scout API Key and then click the Update Settings button.
Your Help Scout API Key can be found by logging into your Help Scout account, going to your User Profile and then selecting API Keys from the navigation. You can then generate an API Key to use with the Gravity Forms Help Scout Add-On.
If you have entered a valid Help Scout API Key, you may then proceed to setup your Help Scout feeds.
Setup Help Scout Feeds
Your Help Scout Feeds allow you to integrate a form with your Help Scout account to create tickets in real time when a form is submitted. This allows you to automatically create and assign tickets to your support team when a form is submitted.
- Edit the Form you would like to integrate with Help Scout.
- Click on the Help Scout navigation item under the Form Settings.
- Click on the “Add New” button to add a new Help Scout Feed.
- Give your Feed a Name. By default this will be configured to “Help Scout Feed 1”, but you may customize it to distinguish it from other Help Scout feeds you may setup for the same form.
- Select the Help Scout destination mailbox that the ticket will be sent to.
- Select a user using the Assign To User setting if you would like to automatically assign a specific Help Scout user to the ticket, or choose Do Not Assign if you would like the ticket to be unassigned when created.
- Select the Message Status used for the new ticket created in Help Scout.
- Select the Message Type used for the new ticket created in Help Scout. For most use cases this will simply be Email.
- Select the Email Field you would like to map to the Customer’s Email Address for the new ticket.
- Select the Name Field you would like to map to the Customer’s First Name for the new ticket.
- Select the Name Field you would like to map to the Customer’s Last Name for the new ticket.
- Configure any tags you would like automatically added to the new ticket. This will be a comma delimited list of tags and you may also use available Gravity Forms merge tags to configure this.
- Configure the Subject that is used to create the new ticket in Help Scout. This may use Gravity Forms merge tags.
- Configure the Message Body that is used to create the content of the new ticket in Help Scout. This may use Gravity Forms merge tags.
- Enable Conditional Logic if you would like to conditionally create the new ticket. This can be used to configure multiple Help Scout Feeds for a form with conditional logic used to determine which one is executed.
- Click Update Settings.
Now that you have setup a Help Scout feed, when the form you selected is submitted it will automatically create a ticket in Help Scout based on how you configured the settings in the Help Scout feed.
The Help Scout Add-on provides hooks that can be used to modify the default functionality or extend it. For more information, review the Help Scout Add-on Hooks.
Add-on Framework Hooks
Because the Help Scout Add-on is built using the Add-on Framework it also inherits any hooks available in the framework methods it uses such as:
- gform_SLUG_field_value for changing a field value before it is passed to Help Scout.